JSG asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 3 months ago

The 2020 U.S. presidential election is officially over. Why are votes still being counted?

Hi. I am just curious. A lot of people voted early this year; I presume I know there were early elections being held in my hometown. Elections officially ended after the 3rd of November.

Biden earned more electoral votes than any presidential candidate in U.S. history. Trump wants to contest the election results in court.

Why are votes still being counted? Biden earned over 290 electoral votes, more than he needed.

Is it because Trump thinks the election was rigged? There was NO "Russian collusion" this time.

Is there any truth to the rumor that Dems hijacked the election? Any truth to the claim they tried to stop absentee ballots from being counted because they wanted Biden to win?

Or is Trump just upset he lost?

Please help. Thank you.

Hi. I am just curious. A lot of people voted early this year I presume; I know there were early elections being held in my hometown.

....

Biden earned more electoral votes than any other presidential candidate in U.S. history. 

....

-FiXED.

• Tmess2
    Favorite Answer

The election is not officially over.  It is not officially over in a state until the state election authority issues the official results.

Each state has its own laws on the timing of the count.  In some states, we have passed the deadline for local election authorities to complete their counts and for the state to consolidate those counts into one state-wide count.  In those states, the election is officially over and we have official results.  In other states, we have not yet reached those deadlines.

In all states, the law requires that local election officials count all valid votes.  Valid votes can include provisional votes, late arriving mail-in ballots, and late arriving overseas ballots.  Each state has a deadline for resolving these ballots, and those deadlines are typically after election day but before the deadline for the local election authority to certify their counts.  While most states have completed their counts, there are a handful of states (especially those with late deadlines for resolving ballot issues) where the count is not yet complete.  

Additionally, after the official results are certified, most states allow a recount if the margin is close enough, and most states allow an election contest (a court case) if there is clear evidence of fraud.

So the continued counting is not unusual.  It's the normal process.  In most elections, to use the federal statutory language, there is an apparent winner based on the votes that have been counted (which is reported by the news media), and most people really do not care about the exact final count.  So nobody pays close attention to the formal process for completing the count and announcing the final result.  It's a little like a football game at which one team is leading by 30 at half-time in which only the fans watch the second half of the game.  And the losing candidate normally concedes that they have lost (even though the concession has no legal effect).

This year, however, is unusual. As noted above, sometimes, there are recounts in close races.  And sometimes, there are election contests. However, Trump's multiple cases in multiple states is unprecedented, particularly in light of the current margins.  Because Trump is continuing to fight, we are having more attention paid to these processes than normally occurs.  So people are noticing the continued counting even if they normally would not pay any attention to the final steps of the election process.

As to your other questions, I don't know what is going through Trump's mind so I don't know if he honestly believes that the elections were rigged or if he is just saying that because he can't stand to admit that he lost.  I do know that his legal team has had to consistently back down from fraud claims in every case that has been  heard to date.  And Democrats have been the one to insist on counting absentee ballots.  Thanks to Trump's opposition to absentee ballots, absentee ballots have overwhelmingly favored the Democratic candidates in the states.   

The media doesn’t call elections.