Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 1 week ago

What exactly do IT workers do? I usually see them checking on wiring in the storage room and doing simple computer tasks?

Why do they get paid so much

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 days ago
    Favorite Answer

That depends on the specific job and even company. IT is a very broad field with many different sub-fields. I work as an IT tech for a school district. My job is to provide technical support for the schools that I'm assigned to. That ranges from setting up new computers to fixing printing problems, SmartBoard issues, some networking, document cameras, and so forth.

• 6 days ago

IT technicians provide network support. 

• garry
    Lv 5
    7 days ago

as it say , information technology , computers , what else , the fix computers and software . Electrical mechanic fix machine and house wiring , completely different .

• Anonymous
    7 days ago

We are the plumbers for your data. In between checking the pipes and tightening the faucets we’re making sure the **** doesn’t get out of hand.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 week ago

Most people are actually programmers who write code. It's only a handful of trusted people in the company that actually get the chance to touch hardware since it can be expensive to fix potential damages caused by people who don't know what they're doing. So the guys wiring stuff in the storage room deserve their pay.

When you say "simple computer tasks", I assume it's some sort of tech support. Whether on the phone or over the shoulder, it's really the same job: fix things. You might only see a fraction of what these people do (like fix VPNs, reinstall programs, find missing passwords etc.) but it does require one to be quite versatile. The guy in the office chair has to know how to use excel and do it well, but the tech support has to know how to use excel, the windows registry, how to install an operating system, how to check internet connection, how to spot faulty hardware etc. So they're not payed for all the work they do in a month (which might be only to install windows on a bunch of new computers), but actually the knowledge and experience they have accumulated over the years. If you have an issue, they have to know how to fix it regardless of what their daily tasks might be.

Finally, the programmers. In this field, there's as many different jobs as there are non IT jobs out there. There's front end developers, back end developers, System Reliability Engineers, DevOps, Storage Engineers, Storage Administrators, Data scientists and many others. Each one has to know their craft and most of the time know related jobs as well. It's not like you can throw a random person off the streets in their shoes and expect them to know what to do.

So yes, when you compare a brick layer with an IT guy, you might wonder why one earns thrice the pay of the other while doing a quarter of the work. Well, to answer your question: you're paying for when push comes to shove (or better said, the cloudy days) when it really does require 20 to 30 years of experince to fix an issue.

Say you have 3 situations like this happening in a whole month.

If you have an IT guy working at your company, that's going to take him 30 minutes to 3 hours to fix each individual issue.

Now let's say you fired the guy to save some cash: well now you're missing days of work because the VPN has stopped and you (an non-IT person) has to google how to fix it, or you're crying next to your computer because it doesn't turn on and you can't retrieve stuff off the hard drive, or maybe one of the servers on site is malfunctioning and you have to phone in a guy from somewhere else who's coming only next monday. It really does pay off to have an expert on site even if he slacks off most of the time because there's nothing to do.

If you're wondering why IT pays so well, my only answer is because that's how the market works. There's a 50 year history of people push prices higher and higher because they were confident enough nobody could replace them, and now that's the status quo.

There are actually IT jobs out there which pay minimum wage, don't get me wrong. A lot of people know about computers these days and companies have caught on the fact that they can exploit off the college benches youngsters for cheap labour.

But the experts with 10+ years in a company are still few and far between. Between them and the CEO of a company, I'd say the CEO is more expendable.

• 1 week ago

Check  enclosed link

The salary will reflect on schooling, and experience in the IT field.

The salary can range from $50,000 up to $100,000 plus annually, this also depends of who you are working for.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    1 week ago

IT workers are expert computer users who can figure out and use almost any program out there, can fix common computer and network problems, and can program a little. They're the stepped-down versions of full-fledged computer programmers and full-time computer engineers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.