Why has Hemingway fallen out of favor with readers?

• Marli
    Favorite Answer

Has he? His books are still carried by bookstores. He is still a big name in literary fiction.

I read "The Sun Also Rises". I thought "What's the big deal?" but I think I was too green and sheltered to understand what he was writing.

I've read about him. He lived in Toronto a few years and wrote for the "Star" so I was curious about him. (He hated both the city and his assignments. His bosses thought he acted the "primo don", too full of himself to take instructions or write to the paper's style  Several reporters on the paper liked him. Greg Clark, a  columnist who wrote for the "Star Weekly" into the 1960s, said he taught Hemingway fly fishing.)

Anyway I found Hemingway's life and character much more interesting than "The Sun Also Rises". He really had a strutting ego. Was the inner man as mega-sized as the image he created?

I think Hemingway is now better known for being a "character" rather than for his writing.

I don't know if that's happened, but I've never been very impressed by his writing.  I find him rather sexist, tending to stereotype, & overly interested in alleged "manly" pursuits.  Oddly, of all of his books, the one I like best is "Islands In The Stream", which he hadn't finished before having his shotgun brunch.  It was ultimately finished by his last wife, Mary.  Maybe she found a way to wash out some of the testosterone that seems excessive in his other writing.     

• ?

Who says he has? his works are in print the last time I looked, and the kind of people who give advice to novice writers frequently recommend his style.

Too much testosterone for modern readers.