A asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 2 months ago

Panasonic Lumix G9 or G90?

Ideally looking for a response from a camera/photography pro here. 

I'm a photography enthusiast, upgrading from a 2012 Panasonic G3! As a i have a few micro four thirds lenses, ideally I want to stay with mft. 

I know the spec differences but in reality, what really matters? I see the G90 has 49 focus points to the G9's 229 - but is that a big deal? I see a lot mention more points mean better AF tracking, but to what extent?

I usually shoot street/car photography, but also going on Safari to South Africa in 2021 so will be some wildlife too, using a 45-200mm lens. 

Please feel free to recommend other mft cameras too. 

• keerok

The number of focus points is no big deal to me. I shoot with just one at dead center.

You seem to be very satisfied with your current camera. I know the feeling. If it ain't broke, why replace it?  At 45-200mm will be very useful for safaris but don't forget to bring wide angle. I'm sure you will be wanting to shoot expansive of the savanna too, especially when the sun sets. If you don't have a wide angle lens yet then that's where you can consider putting your money instead. However, you can survive with the kit lens (when it comes to wide) and use the money for better accommodations or an extra side trip down to the lions' den.