Windows 10

828 GB Disk Space

with a good 650 Watt Power supply.

What would be a good cpu upgrade.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Upgrade what you CURRENTLY have. Mine is over 11 years old and matches closely to your specifications already. Most games depend on the GPU (graphics card), not so much the processor. Max out the RAM (32GB!) if it has four slots. Your current power supply is fine (400 watts is enough), same for the processor.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

every motherboard has different CPU options. we need your motherboard model number (or the computer model number, for prebuilt pcs).

• 2 months ago

search online for website about 'bottlenecking' ... input your system but a junk cpu and see what it recommends.  then go to the comparative list of cpus ranked by power at tomshardware.com and scan near the one recommended for a) fits your mobo, b) is low cost but still available.  -- grampa

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you have 828gb of disk space then I can only assume that you're still using a HDD. A SSD would do wonders for load and boot times. SSD's are also substantially cheaper than what they were when the Core i7-6700 was new.

The Core i7-6700 is still pretty decent unless you're looking to drive up your framerates because you have a 144hz monitor. It's not the best but it's far from the worst. The best CPU for your platform is the Core i7-7700k but since you didn't give up information on your motherboard I can't confirm compatibility. The street value of the Core i7-7700k is quite high and it's not a good value when compared to a newer CPU like the Core i5-10400 or Ryzen 5 3600. Sometimes it's better to upgrade the motherboard along with the processor.

About the only difference between the Core i7-6700 and 7700k is the clock speeds on the 7700k are higher. Clock for Clock both have the same processing power and both have 4 cores with 8 threads which is what the current 10th Gen Core i3 processors have.

If you want a better CPU then you'd have to upgrade the CPU and motherboard. However if you're still gaming on a 60hz monitor then a CPU upgrade wouldn't be beneficial so you'd be better off upgrading the GPU. What I would say is to look at the monitor you have or the monitor you want and upgrade in a way that would get you optimal settings and and optimal framerate for that monitor. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

A 6th generation i7 is pretty durned fast.  Skylake technology.  14 nm.  The newest generation of i7 is not that much better. Kabylake.  Still 14nm.  (Which, years ago, we were told was impossible!)  I think the new one has 6 cores, but the improvement might not even be noticeable.

Are you doing games?  The GTX 1070 actually has more processing power than your CPU.  You don't need the very fastest processor for games.

Also, it's not clear to me whether you're talking about a new motherboard or swapping the processor on your existing motherboard.  If it's the latter, you can only move to a processor that uses the same socket.  So find out what socket you have and what's available for that.

If you're buying a new motherboard and you want the fastest thing available today, you'd go with an AMD Ryzen.  AMD has pulled ahead in the processor wars.  Intel is working feverishly to catch up.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.