Anonymous

What did I do wrong?

My boss had assigned a powerpoint presentation for me to work on that will be used to train others. When she assigned it, she stated that you can ask me any questions as I know what the audience is looking for. I started a rough draft and sent it to her to let me know if I'm on the right track. She responded that it's a good start and there are some additional things for me to focus on. Fast forward three months later, she wrote me up for poor job performance and cited the rough draft (which I clearly stated is not complete and intended it as a starting example) as an example of poor work. She stated that I submitted a cursory draft for review. Why is she using this against me when I clearly stated that I just need guidance and this is what I started. I work as a budget analyst and training is something that HR should be doing and we are doing this a favor to them.

I took the feedback and used it to develop a presentation as per expectations. I was making a presentation on how governmental hearings operate and my departments role in them. I even presented that presentation to my group. I recently a compliant that I haven't been doing my work and submitting a rough draft is an example of that. Which doesn't make any sense to me. 

• n2mama

You left out one very key detail here-what did you do with the presentation? You submitted a rough draft, she gave you feedback, and then what? You don’t indicate that you took that feedback and created a finished document, which is what it sounds like the expectation was. It sounds like she gave you guidance and you didn’t take that on to completion as expected, which is why it got held against you. It doesn’t matter what your opinion is as to who should be doing the training, you were assigned the task of creating the training materials and you didn’t deliver. That’s a performance failure and is reasonable to be documented for that failure.

Is this your first job?

SUBJECT MATER EXPERTS (you) will ALWAYS have a role in creating training materials.  HR could be "responsible" for this in terms of making sure it gets done, the content and level of materials is appropriate, etc etc .

HR is NOT the subject mater expert and would not be the one that drafts the material.

Why did your supervisor call you out on the draft?  Did you put DRAFT on the document either in bold on the pages or as a watermark?

Why did she call your draft a cursory?  I guess she expects a higher level of work for initial drafts == SHE DOES NOT WANT TO SPOON-FEED YOU.  She wants you to think for yourself.