Should l rent a room out to friend from my past. We have known each other for over 35 years.  My issue is l know she is an alcoholic.?

This person has no car no license no job. She gets food stamps monthly and says she has a few thousand saved up from unemployment. She takes methadone daily and drinks all the time. I live by myself and have a room but l don't want to deal with alcohol my brother died from alcoholism.  I know she needs help .

• T J
    Favorite Answer

No, do not do it. You will be inviting more headaches , problems into your life. Once she is there 30 days, you are stuck with her, and you will have to go to court to get her out. I know its hard not to help, but you will be creating more problems for your good deed. Dont let her into your home.

No, I would highly suggest that you don't.  You could put yourself in a position where you let her in, and now she doesn't want to leave, and you're in a position where you legally can't just get her out of your home.  It's not worth the risk.  If you have to rent out a room, choose someone who you feel that is reliable, trustworthy, has a job, the ability to pay rent, and no problems like heavy alcohol or drug use. 

There is an old saying...."Don't borrow trouble."

The problem in renting out a room is getting them to leave if the arrangement doesn't work. Also, if you know she drinks excessively, and you are not comfortable with it, you can tell her that your brother was an alcoholic and died from it. I can't allow alcohol in the apartment and so I don't think its a suitable arrangement. 

Your instincts are right, and you aren't responsible to take care of someone.

Many years ago, I had to evict someone staying we me that lost his job over drug addiction. He ended up killed, but I can't blame myself for not wanting to continue to live with a drug addict. 

Don't get drawn into your situation. She's not your responsibility.