American citizen living abroad in Japan. Question?

I am an American citizen living abroad in Japan.  How do I file my taxes.

3 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    Dear IRS ........

  • drip
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Online.   Many people do their taxes on line, even in the USA

  • 2 months ago

    You can get your forms & instructions online from the IRS website. If you were residing abroad for the entire year 2020, and have earned income from your work in Japan, you may be eligible for Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIC) which makes a certain amount of foreign EARNED income exempt from US income taxes (amount changes annually). If US & Japan have a dual-taxation agreement (I believe there is one), income taxes paid to Japan on your earnings in Japan can be credited to any taxes owed to US. NOTE: ONLY EARNED income is subject to the exclusion, and other income is subject to usual tax rules. E.g. if you rent out your US home while you are stationed abroad, you pay taxes on the rent according to the usual rules for rental income. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.