Lynn asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

I found this the other day and I have been thinking about it. Why do you think that better educated people vote Democratic? ?

I am not being facetious. I really want to know what you think.

Lili, thank you for your well-thought out response.  I hope for more responses like this. 

Anonymous, maybe I am not as well-educated as you, but I am never rude. 

• Lili
    Favorite Answer

It's true that the better educated you are, the more liberal you are likely to be.  On college campuses, even the conservative faculty (and we definitely do have conservative faculty) tend to be somewhat less conservative than conservative members of the general public.

Advanced education teaches you that the world is not a matter of simple blacks and whites but of complex and nuanced grays.  Well-educated people are also usually well-read and well-traveled, they are historically sophisticated, they've come into contact with other cultures and belief systems, and they tend to be less religious than the less well-educated because they've learned a good deal about the origins and histories of religions. They are also trained in critical and analytical thinking, which tends to require advanced education. 

All of this fosters a liberal mindset: an openness to new ideas, a respect for people and cultures that are different, and a grasp of concepts that move beyond comforting traditions and supposed certainties.  It's almost inevitable that this happens.  Education is, after all, intended to open your mind, whereas the minds of so many conservatives tend to be, and to remain, firmly shut to the new and sometimes discomfiting. 

Edit: No, professors aren't teaching people to be "socialists" (that word is being tossed around so casually these days that it's clear most people using it don't even know what it means), and they are not bragging about doing so.  Such a stupid little claim.

Flouride, "most intelligent" by whose measure?  Yours?  Don't make me laugh. And sorry, but on average, Democrats are better educated than Republicans.  I hold a PhD, and so do all of my mostly liberal colleagues.  How about you?

@DownVote: As usual, people hate facts.. 48 vs 46% is not a huge difference, you can CLEARLY see that it isn't education that is the factor, it's being a woman that is.

If you read the report, you would find that the differences aren't as big as you're claiming. Instead it seems that women (with a graduate degree in an unknown subject) prefer democrats.

• wowser

makes a lot of sense

Higher education indoctrinates our young people to be socialists. This isn't even a secret. Lots of college professors publicly brag about doing this, and laugh because they can't be fired.

• Yavan

Because Republicans run crooked game show hosts.

Education is synonymous with understanding positions and subtle arguements .....this is not part of the strumpettes playbook..