Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 4 months ago

If I wear a mask whenever I’m around other people am I safe that I will not get the coronavirus?

Favorite Answer

The better the mask, the better the protection. 

This works both ways -- not just with people who have covid transmitting it but people who don't have covid acquiring it.

If you wear a KN95 mask (FDA approved), you keep out 95% of small virus particles.  It's very hard to acquire enough virus particles to develop covid if you do this.

If you are are wearing a single layer cotton mask, it's virtually worthless for everyone.  About 4% reduction of risk for the non-infected individual and less than 20% for the infected individual to transmit.

-- If you up the mask to 3 layers and the layers go different directions, you have done a decent job reducing your risk.

Wearing two masks or a mask and face shield will be better.

Also, 1 meter of distance reduces your risk 82%.  If you do distance and a mask it's the best option. 

Nope, you can still get it.

• y

myth, the odds are in your favor when you wear a mask properly and such. But masks are not 100% protection from the virus either. Something like 70% of infected,  claim to wear masks properly all of the time. 

Nope.  Masks are almost as useless as Biden and the blue state governors.

No; wearing masks is to protect other people, if you have the virus.