Kathy
Kathy asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 months ago

Do aunts or uncles who are really close have the right to do this if visiting their sibling's home?

check on their child who's currently by themselves and even wants to be hidden

The actual kid wants seclusion due to looking/feeling disgusting. Should the aunt/uncle not care why the kid wants to be alone?

The actual niece/nephew is a teen not a small child.

Favorite Answer

This is a tight rope

Its a balancing act between being concerned about his/her mental health, and not being the parent and making decisions that aren't yours to make.

I have 4 nieces/nephews, and I would never go into their room when the door is closed, period! A bedroom is place for privacy, and if its closed it means they want to be on their own, which is perfectly normal, and I would never intrude on that. Also I am not their parent, its not up me make those types of decisons, and I would never presume to take on that role. Having said that, I would 100% ask them if everything is ok and let them know I'm always there if they need to vent, that would then be their choice on what to do next.

• Foofa

Chances are the parent(s) asked them to check, so yeah. Children don't get to decide to be "hidden" as they're the responsibility of the adults in their lives. 

• T J

NO, they have no rights. their children are adults, and that's where the line gets drawn. If a child wants to be by themselves, they need to respect that. If I did not want them in my life, they would never find me. If they did ever find me, they would be told to stay out of my life, and Id move again.

• Who opens the mouth the most on how others needs to get married and have kids to take care of them on old days? The same person who will think that kid / wife is a liability if they lost a parent or bring bad luck. Put your action where your mouth is

• !

Its not a right, as such. Theres nothing that gives them the freedom to do this. But if thats what they want to do, theres nothing to stop them, either