Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 2 months ago

Why do people say African-Americans are 70-80% black when it’s higher than that?

Most African-Americans are ATLEAST 80% or more black and a good proportion such as 25% have NO mixed ancestry.

Whoopi Goldberg-92% Sub-Saharan African, 8% European. 

Oprah Winfrey-89% Sub-Saharan African, 8% Native American, 3% East Asian. 

Mae Jemison-84% Sub-Saharan African, 13% East Asian.

Chris Tucker-83% African, 10% Native American, 7% European. 

Don Cheadle-81% African, 19% European. 

Chris Rock-80% Sub-Saharan African, 20% European.

Tyra Banks 80% African, 14% British. most of the ones i saw on youtube got the same results as well African-Americans are not so mixed like how people exaggerate them to be.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Based on couple of Census that have been taken in the past 30 or so years people have had the ability to select their "race" affilation which has changed the out come of statistics.  As many as 35 years ago Genealogists began to realize that between 5 and 15 % of Africian Americans who could trace their ancestry to the mid 1800's were stating that they were of Mixed African-European ancestry.  With the development of DNA testing these numbers seem to be higher so that between 20-30%  does not seem unreasonable.  To use a small number of people to make your statement seems unrealistic.  In 50+ years of research that started with my  Great Grandparents  (8 or more lines of my family) I found that there was none of those generations that did not include mix ancestry (which included European, African, Native American and recently in one line back 5 generations Asian.  I have some sort of actual documentation on each generation and have not depended on  family stories as the only documentation used.

Source(s): Genealogical Researcher 60+ years and Degrees in Anthropology, History and Sociology.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

"What people say" is zero to do with genealigy

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

because they don't know what they are talking about.

"percentages" are meaningless in genetic reality. If luck of the draw happens, someone with a "fully black" grandparent can still be white

• Lomax
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Almost nobody on Earth is 100% anything.

And so what?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

american blacks dont even look half african if you put them side by side .. truth is if they tried to immigrate back to africa most of them would be killed with their effed up americanized 'hood' culture .. that has nothing to do with african culture ..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.