Asep

But did you know THIS about Psalms 23?

Psalm 23 starts off by talking about how, “the Lord is my shepard”

Psalm 23:5, “Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over”

This is NOT just figurative. 

Sheep often get their heads stuck in briars with their wool and they can die trying to get untangled. There ears and eyes get tormented by insects and insects lay eggs inside of the sheep’s nares. The sheep gets so tormented that they bang their head against rocks to kill themselves and end the torture. 

To prevent this from happening, a shepard anoints oil over the sheeps head to protect them. Have you ever felt so anxious and worried that you felt like banging your head against a wall? Well when you allow the lord to anoint your head with oil, this can too protect you as the lord is our shepard. Isn’t that beautiful?

Favorite Answer

Interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Sheep are an interesting analogy of how we should be. Christ was the Lamb of God who said that His meat was to do the will of the Father. Sheep will follow the shepard anywhere, even to the slaughter, whereas goats always do their own thing.

Christ said that His sheep hear His voice and follow Him. This voice is usually heard through our God given conscience which leads us to do what is good and right and true. It is "the true light that lighteth every man who comes into the world (John 1:9)." To follow the voice of God, we must simply be good.

The Lord is not only my Shepherd but He is the Good Shepherd who lays down His life for the sheep. He goes after the one lost sheep, leaving the 99 safe until He gets back with the lost sheep.  This I know,  from experience. Thanks for sharing those points about shepherding in the Middle East. It is beautiful, yes.