Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 5 months ago

John F. Kennedy or Richard Nixon?

Both of these presidents served considerably short tenures in office (the former due to being assassinated, the latter due to resignation in the face of almost certain impeachment for a political scandal).

Policy wise, who do you think was more "successful" on fronts such as the economy, foreign policy, etc.?

Update:

Ok, didn't serve the entirety of their terms, since, as Anonymous notes, Nixon served for nearly six years.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Richard Nixon's tenure wasn't considerably short. 5 of the past 11 Presidents have "tenures" shorter than Nixon's. Nixon was reelected. He went well into his second term in office. As for which was more successful, overall JFK, obviously. 

• 5 months ago

There is no doubt that the economy was much better under JFK than under RMN. 

Aside from a couple of weeks of panic during the Cuban missile crisis the economy was great under Kennedy. The impact of the OPEC oil embargo damaged the economy badly under Nixon. We had inflation and stagnation under Nixon. 

The biggest foreign policy triumph under Kennedy was the peaceful resolution of the Cuban missile crisis. 

The Vietnam war was pretty much a failure under both Kennedy and Nixon. 

Nixon's biggest success, at least to most, was formally recognizing communist China.

In terms of domestic policy Kennedy did well. He was generally admired by Americans, and it before the time that presidential sexual escapades were made public. We still respected our presidents.

Nixon destroyed much of that respect.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Richard Nixon served for almost 6 years.

Jan. 1969- Aug 1974

thats more than 16 Presidents

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

In my personal opinion, both people did not serve long enough for me to have a major opinion on them. So, for that reason, I feel as though I shouldn't judge them as much. As for economy and foreign policy, I thought that both were interesting.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.