I need help with Rust-Oleum paint products.  Details are below.  Can someone knowledgeable in this repair method help?

Well:  I like to attack rusted surfaces on my vehicles and trailer with Rustoleum.  There is only one of their products that brags about reforming rust, and that is Rust Reformer.  The Rust Reformer comes in only one color, black.  I encounter many other different colors besides black on surfaces.  Can I use other Rust-Oleum products that have color instead, that are not labeled "Rust Reformer"?  I plan to attack rusted surfaces that are multiple different colors is why I ask.  Plus "Rust Reformer" only comes in black.  Will other Rust-Oleum products not labeled Rust Reformer equally work?  I plan to use the spray cans.  

Rust Oleum was based on SHARK OIL. There are OTHER great products, that i have used from our local INFORMED auto part store called MAZZA in PONTIAC and WATERFORD, mi! They even carry CATALYST CLEANER that REALLY WORKS and AMSOIL POWER FOAM and superb OILS and real FACTORY coolants as well! RUST OLEUM would be my LAST CHOICE  

• fuzzy

Rust Reformer is just a neutralizer it still needs to be covered with paint.

Just putting paint on rust never really works to well. As we would say in the body business "rust never sleeps"

Brian, Rust-Oleum is the name of the company which has thousands of various products, mostly in the "protection" line. As far as I know the rust reformer is the only one they do out of all those which chemically attacks rust and makes it inert.  Have a look on their website, I'm sure they have one.

You can call Rust-Oleum and ask them what product to use.

I've called them before about mixing colors since their colors are limited.

Rust is iron oxide. It forms by iron reacting with oxygen. Painting over iron oxide does not get good adhesion and does not actually change the rust. It is best to remove the rust or treat it in some way before painting. Answer is no, especially in sprays that have less consistent coverage. You can look up Corroseal and how it is used to do a surface prep. It does not spray on. There are other competing rust converting preparations.