Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsBirds · 2 months ago

Was it wrong for me to give a seagull some of my garlic bread?

At the bus stop I saw a seagull near me looking at my garlic bread so I gave him some. Was this wrong? I heard that giving bread to birds is bad. 

Favorite Answer

I feed ducks in the park bread crumbs I save for them.  One little tidbit of bread crust or garlic bread is not going to kill the bird.   I bet that gull was mighty happy with his meal.  He must have been really hungry steaking out people at the bus stop!  LOL!  

• ?

No.If you were on the south coast of England, it might have been a French sea gull anyway.

Seagulls are dainty eaters and won't eat what's bad for them.  It is perfectly legal and healthy to feed them. It won't cause them to become pests, as can happen with pigeons or Canada geese.  It's been a while so I don't know whether the Seattle gulls are still trained this way, but when I was there, you could hold a snack at arm's length anywhere on the shore and a seagull would swoop down and take it from your hand.  They need a high-fat diet and love fries.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-pdt6weIlI

Youtube thumbnail

• Darla

It was okay. On occasion. 

i give food to birds if i have any. we all need to eat.

It is not a good steady diet but is better than alka seltza tabs that blow the birds stomach apart.

i dont thnk so, he needs to eat too

• donnie

They don’t leave you alone.