I’m scared of my brother who assaulted me and who my parents enable. What do I do if I have to see him over the holidays?

I don’t want to be alone and I want to see the family but my brother will be there as my parents always let him calm despite the bad things that he does. He’s an obsessive stalker online. 

Favorite Answer

Tell your parents you won't come if your brother is going to be there.

I was in this situation. After my brother and I left home Christmas was arranged so that one year I would come to my parents for Christmas Day and he would come to Boxing Day, but next year he would go for Christmas and I would go for Boxing Day.

If your parents won't arrange for you to see them without your brother being there then don't go. They are refusing to acknowledge your significant concerns about being assaulted again. Therefore they aren't worth your time, and they aren't worth you taking the risk of another assault.

Your parents want to see you, so they will try to make a time when you can be there and he isn't (and vice versa). If not this year, then eventually next year.

If you can't get together with your family then look for friends you can hang out with on the holidays.

• adam

Bring along a friend who can really fight. Problem solved let him kick your brothers asss.

• df

Stay with friends for the holidays.  Don’t go if you don’t feel safe 

• T J

Id not go anyplace he was. Family or not. Its not worth the grief. If your parents wish to see you, tell them, to let you know when he is not there. And if he should show up, while you are there, leave immediately, say nothing, just leave.

• Don't go to your parent's house for the holidays. It's that simple. By the way you're lucky to still have parents that are together. That's rare in this day and age.