Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 2 weeks ago

Why is a hamburger called junk food when it is a beef patty sandwich?

• Alpha

It depends on the ingredient that's used to make that hamburger.  Most fast food places uses cheap fatty meat, bread/bun, and other things.

I make my own hamburger and not only is it healthy, it is also cheaper because contrary to what many people think, fast food places are expensive over the long term. For the price of 4 fast food burgers, I can buy top quality ingredients to make at least 10 burgers. For example, I get lean ground sirloin beef, choices of fresh baked buns with no hydrogenated oil, condiments of my choice, and cheeses of my choice.  I can cook the patty the way I want whether on an open flame grill or skillet.

"Junk food" is used to describe unhealthy food.

I do not consider every hamburger to be Junk food. If the meat is not overly processed and if it is providing proper nutrition, I consider it to be good.

• denise

Junk food is just a generic term for 'fast food' that is not as healthy as some other foods.

• Jerry

When you're promoting eating a lot of fruits and vegetabes, a meal that consists of beef, white bread, salty or sweetened condiments, plus a wee bit of veg on the side, often served with french fries, just doesn't make the cut, you know?

I never call a burger junk food unless it is a fast food burger. If it is a home made burger then I call it a work of culinary art. lol

Fast food in general is junk food.  Not all hamburgers are fast food.  The burgers I get are grass fed beef and I have them lettuce wrapped rather than in a white flour bun.  They are not junk.

• Anton

There are idiots that claim just about anything is a "junk food."

The bigger idiots are those who listen to those idiots.

If you listen to the "experts" you will be eating tasteless crap and will starve as you will hate your life.

TRUTH:  You are going to die. 

You need to enjoy what life you get, help others to enjoy themselves.  

• Olive

Because junk food is either something sweet or something with lots of fat and salty etc with no vitamins minerals. And burgers are very saturated greasy fat with no vitamins or minerals or protein. So considered more a junk food instead of healthy food

It is often made with the fattier cuts of beef, it is usually fried, which adds yet more fat, and served in a bun made from white flour [refined carb]. A patty made from leaner beef, grilled and served in a wholemeal bun would be far better.