Will start/stop feature effect the life of my engine/turbo?

As the turbo needs to be cooled for a period of time, I was wondering if the start stop feature will effect the turbo if it is hot?

• CB
    Favorite Answer

My 1 liter Ford ecoboost turbo is water cooled with it's own thermostat and electric pump (for top end of engine and turbo) that runs for a while after the engine is off to cool the turbo.

NO! But YOUR OIL CHOICES are MOST IMPORTANT and there is such a thing as TURBO OIL< or TURBO  APRROVED oil! I had TWO AUDI TURBO CARS and they were BOTH AWESOME! I recommend them DAILY to ANYONE that will listen! They will NEVER dump a TURBO if proper Oil is used! VALVOLINE will KILL Them in time! AMSOIL and PENNZOIL ULTRA EURO and ULTRA PLPATINUM will PROTECT them from ANY damage to the BEARINGS or to the HEAT made by the TURBO! VALVOINE Just CANNOT HANDLE the HEAT! iT IS refined FROM wax AND ash, AND Pennzoil MADE FROM natural gas GIVING YOU A 500,000 mile engine extended warranty! Use PENNZOIL 0W series oil, as in 0W-30 or 0W-20 . IT protects to 35 BELOW ZERO! WALMART has it for only $20 for 5 qts! START/STOP is usually only for a FEW MIINUTES anyway! USING THE RIGHT OIL is MOST IMPORTANT! WAX BASED OILS WILL RUIN the TURBO WASTEGATE DIAPHRAGM as swell! Use ONLY  SYNTHETIC OIL in a TURBO CAR! And PENNZOIL is THE RIGHT OIL >>>YOU BUY OIL based upon SPEC NUMBERS and NOT by VISCOSITY RATINGS and these numbers CHANGE every year! MOBIL ONE and LIQUI MOLY also make TERRIFIC "0" W series oil but only PENNZOIL gives such a SUPERB warranty! 500,000 MILES!  

No. If the engine management system thinks that will be a potential problem then it simply suspends the stop-start feature briefly. 

That’s exactly what happens to the fleet of VW T6 based accessibility buses we run where I work.

Many other modern vehicles have electrically driven oil or water cooling to the turno which runs as necessary when the engine is off.

manufacturers spend millions on development ..this will have been sorted ..we have had this feature for at least a dozen years in europe ..never heard of any problems 

Gosh - what a great question - I hope someone who knows more than me answers: . . . . I've often wondered what kind of starter motors they build for those stop-start engines (when its a part that often fails in regular engines).

But you've really got me worried now about the effect on turbo engines - those their own lubricating systems and those dependent on engine oil pressure.