Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 2 months ago

What is your favorite movie or movies from the 40's? ?

Rebecca was a great one - I completely forgot about it and want to see it again. 

• Favorite Answer

Rebecca.

• deksta

Laura (1944). A classic.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

• Kurt

Humphrey Bogart movies.

It's a Wonderful Life

The Great dictator followed by Gaslight and Citizen Kane and finally Casablanca. Its a wonderful Life is good, too.

• ?

Murder My Sweet, White Heat, The Great McGinty

The Maltese Falcon

"The Treasure of the Sierra Madre". We don't need no stinkin badges.

• ?

Gaslight

Double Indemnity

Miracle on 34th Street

It's a Wonderful Life

I'd like to answer something heady like The Grapes of Wrath or Citizen Kane, but I've fallen asleep every time I've tried to watch those movies, so I'm going to have to go with It's a Wonderful Live. Pedestrian, I know. And Christmassy to boot. So a double whammy. But I likes what I likes.

Update: Oh, Casablanca was good. I especially liked how at the beginning, like when they show the maps, bunches of it are blurred out by US censors because of fear that they'd reveal something about the war to the Nazis. I also like the bizarre bit at the beginning about some mass disease in Switzerland causing people to commit suicide by secretly leaving their homes without telling anyone, leaving the country, and boarding ships under false IDs and jumping overboard so that they just disappear and are never seen or heard from again, and when I looked it up, that was actually a thing, which in retrospect, given that there's never been anything like it before or sin, definitely sounds like a bunch of buIIshit the Swiss government cooked up for stealing people from their homes in the night, killing them, and dumping them in unmarked graves, some buIIshit that even we Americans got conned into believing and were definitely helping sell by making it the the premise of an Oscar-winning movie that had the sponsorship if the US government.

Oh, another good movie from the 40s is The Gaslight. The verb "gaslighting" is used all the time still today, and gets misused to mean brainwashing, which isn't actually what it means. To really understand what it means, you have to watch the movie because the verb "gaslighting" is formed out of the title of that movie and refers to its plot, the verb meaning one doing to someone else what the husband does to the wife over the course of the movie, which isn't just brainwashing but systematically and methodically brainwashing her over time through all sorts of trickery into thinking she's crazy.