Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationOther - Outdoor Recreation · 3 months ago

What are the risks (if any) of hiking off the trails?

From time to time I like to hike off the trails just to experience something new but I was wondering if there's any possible hazard involved in this approach.  I take advantage that snakes are not active in the winter time, otherwise I would never go to dense bushes in summer. I live in New England.

• Fin
    Favorite Answer

If you don't know the area, the biggest risk is getting lost.

You're going on unfamiliar and possible unseen terrain (holes, jutting logs, or rocks) and may take a spill.  So if you get injured the chances of someone passing your way are greatly reduced.One other thing to consider is if there are any endangered flora or fauna in the area you're going off trail - you don't want to go trampling over them.

You already know the answer to that. If you're not a real Outdoors person, getting off the trail is not a good idea for you. There are those of us who are better at that kind of stuff.