When a person hides their sexuality does it hurt them emotionally ?

• Lauren
    Favorite Answer

I would say definitely yes. 

When I was in the closet, I had to censor myself, which takes some extra energy. It keeps you from opening yourself up and showing yourself to other people, which limits relationships and keeps them from being authentic and deep.

It's also in my opinion a manifestation of shame, though many will deny that. If you are truly free of shame, and in a society where minority sexualities are accepted, then concealing your sexuality (again in my opinion) is really only done out of shame. With the possible exception of for example not being out to your best friend you might have a crush on bc you're worried about it being an issue. I guess that's not necessarily out of shame but it's still taxing at least it has been for me. 

One of my best friends is a gay guy and we basically bonded over our LGBTQ+ status initially. He's not out and insists it's bc he wants to keep his personal life to himself. I personally think it's not just that. We work w a bunch of straight ppl who will freely mention their spouses, will bring their significant others to happy hrs (pre covid), etc without reservation. That he can't introduce his long-term boyfriend to ppl we've known for several years tells me something is wrong.

If they believe in Jesus it makes them stronger. 

• reme_1

Yes it hiding one's teal life is stressful..

Not really......

😄

Not for me. No.

Some maybe.