Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Is this sentence ok?

Barney gets angry because he doesn't like the idea that Ted had dumped a porn star.

• Robert
    Favorite Answer

It depends upon the context.  I don't know if you mean it as is or if you meant "Ted had dumpted 'on' a porn star".  Considering the content and the possibility it is difficult to know.

The grammar is correct.  I don't know if it's appropriate in the context.

Robert said exactly what I was going to say, we don't know the CONTEXT.  Context is everything in English.  You haven't provided any information, so we can't know.

What you have written is correct if you're narrating a past event, but telling it to someone as a story.

Do you want to simply describe what happened?  That would be "Barney GOT angry...". 

Or does Barney continue to get angry at random moments about Ted's breakup with his girlfriend?  This would be odd, but it's the only other possibility that "Barney gets angry..." could mean.

Also we can't know if "Ted had dumped" is correct, or if it should be "Ted dumped".

Again, not enough information. But the verb tenses you've chosen do not seem to match.