Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

When someone suddenly comes so close to you. What would you say: "Can you please move a little bit backward" Or "Can you ple..." ?

Or "Can you please go a little bit back" Or "Can you please take a step back"? 

Favorite Answer

Sure, if you are trying to be polite, "can you please back up a bit and give me some space?" would be something you could say.  The usual response is not verbal though, it is usual that we back up ourselves, and only speak up when we can't move anywhere (backed up as far as we can).  We would speak up only if the darn person kept coming in too close after we had tried to keep some space between us.

Depending on the situation, though, I might perceive a threat of bodily harm and react; I feel threatened, danger, so adrenaline flows and I react.  fight or flight takes over. It is an invasion and I do what I have to do to make it stop.  No thinking involved when that happens.  too late for thought and definitely no longer in the zone of being polite.  They violated that by their own actions.

Incidental intrusions and cultural differences are forgivable. A polite comment is best.  Everything else is their aggression or their ignorance.

Pre-Covid: Put on your best smile and offer him some breath mints.

Post-Covid: Cough loudly.

In the 1960s, first with the beatnik (art-prone) era and then the hippie movement, we flower children tended to say, "You're violating my personal space, man" and ask for more room.  

I haven't found it necessary so far. I just back away myself, and they say, "Oh sorry!" and back away too.

You mean "Could you move back a little" or "Could you please take a step back."

Being a Mediterranean, I would not likely say that. We have a smaller circle of personal space.

Yes both OK or you could day "Excuse me, please give me some space."

• RP

Yes, any of these seem acceptable, but you might also consider something like can you give me a little more room (or space).

I don't say please. I just tell that person to back up. (I don't like people, especially those in my personal space.)

• martin

Both are OK.  Both are polite ways to enforce the distancing rule.