At what age did you learn to swim?

Favorite Answer

Where I grew up we had a library and a half size Olympic swimming pool (25M) and that was it for miles. Strangely enough my hobbies were reading sci fi books and swimming every day.

I can remember getting changed to go in the pool and my dad telling me to wait in the changing room whilst he went to the loo. I of course being inquisitive didn't listen and went out past the showers and out into the pool area. As soon as i saw the giant pool in front of me with loads of kids jumping in I got so excited and took a run up and jumped in. I can still remember the experience of it.  I just naturally stayed afloat without knowing how, but my mum who was watching in the spectator area was screaming for the pool attendant just as my dad came rushing out looking for me and doing one of those Olympic dives he may of even got to me before the lifeguard I cant remember that exactly.

After getting told off and my dad getting it in the ear too, I was enrolled in swimming lessons and I was hooked.

If it wasn't for the lockdown, I would still be swimming twice a week now.. (I do 50 to 100 lengths at a time) depending on how bored i get half way through, but I think every child who lives near water MUST be taught a t a young age how to swim both for their enjoyment and their safety.

At 4 years old, I don't really remember

A little bity baby with floaters

• Rick

not sure, by I got my 'lifeguard' patch at 14 or so ...............

six years old, I took lessons at the local pond yay! :D

primary school age  

I was 6 years old.

Don't remember. It just happened naturally. My parents signed me up for swimming classes

I was about 13 I think.

I was about 7 and it was great.

The story I tell is that my dad rowed me out into the middle of a lake when I was three, and threw me out of the boat to teach me to swim.  And I did pretty well as soon as I got out of the burlap bag with the rocks in it.

Seriously, though, my dad was in the Navy in WWII and he taught us all how to swim at a very young age.  He thought that was important.