Why does my new space heater keep tripping breakers?

I have a brand new space heater in my bedroom, set to 750w, and it keeps blowing the same breaker for my room. I tried switching the power source to an empty power strip, and it worked well for a day then I shut it off. About 9:30pm, I turned it back on, and about 12:30 it blew a breaker. Don't know why it keeps doing this, it happened three times yesterday.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

    There is too much on that circuit, or the breaker is faulty. There may be another possible cause or two, but it's overloading the circuit or having a faulty breaker that causes tripping 999 times out of 1000, and it's much more likely to be the first one. It doesn't matter if a power strip is empty. The power strip is plugged into an outlet which is on a circuit and if there is too much other stuff on that circuit then the breaker will blow.

  • Rick
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

    It's pulling too many amps ............................

  • 4 weeks ago

    Your space heater needs to be on it's own separate circuit since heating devices draw quite a bit of current. Your breaker keeps tripping because it is protecting a shared circuit and the total current draw exceeds a safe value for the size of wire in the wall. Also, don't use an extension cord with hearers because the excess length will itself have a voltage drop and begin to act as part of the heating element. Check plugs & outlets too for heating. They should stay cool to the touch. As for your power strip, it has nothing to do with the circuit breaker tripping. Be sure all aspects of the power strip stay cool to the touch. Keep all wiring as short as possible to avoid voltage drop. Remember - voltage drop = energy being dissipated as heat.

  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

    it's the power strip - they don't work well with heavy loads. put the heater straight into the wall socket or extension cord. 15A breakers are good for 1800 watts

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • bill
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

    As long as it's really set to 750 watts then likely it's defective. Those heaters are generally 1500 w max which could blow a breaker.

  • 1 month ago

    what else do you have on that circuit?  [when the breaker trips, what else stops working?]  the most common cause is too many things that draw a lot of power on too small a circuit

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Every breaker can handle 10 paired wall outlets or 10 light boxes in the ceiling.  So count your ceiling lights ( a chandelier) of multiple bulbs comes from one light box in the ceiling so that is 1, a single light bulb strung off from the ceiling is1 box so #2 (you get the idea) The electrician tries to use as little wire as possible and chain links the ceiling lights together from 1 breaker. 

    . However this is with normal appliances which use small wattages..  When you say have 2 space heaters on the same chain for the wall outlets, that MAY be more than the WIRING in the house can handle so the breaker overheats and blows first.  Meaning find a different outlet.

    How many other electric heaters are there? Count them and change their position so they may connect to a different outlet chain.   Power strip does not help as that just allows for more than 2 outlets as computer stuff on a desktop is speakers/monitor/computer/ desklamp/digital clock/modem.   I have also a stereo/& amp & TV so I needed a second strip to power all that out of the 1 outlet box in the wall.(as each item uses so very little in wattage there is very little draw of current from the breaker.  So it never has gone off for years  Study electricity...A.C. wiring codes and then you know. 

    . When the breaker goes off, then you KNOW you got too many things that require too much current in that circuit.  Reduce or redirect where the other things get plugged in to.  It is a safety so the house does not BURN DOWN.

  • 1 month ago

    overload on that circuit 

  • 1 month ago

    A normal 15 amp circuit at 110 volts can handle 1650 watts before tripping. A 20 amp circuit at 110 volts can handle 2000 watts before tripping. You are more than likely overloading the circuit. It may be that 2 bedrooms are on the same circuit. Install LED lights in the bedrooms to lower the load. 

  • John
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    Never use a power strip to plug in a space heater unless you want a tripped circuit breaker. Power strips are for computers, TVs and such. Run an orange extension cord to power your space heater from an unused bedroom. My friend used a power strip to plug in his refrigerator, burned up his power strip. Then I had to repair his wall socket.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.