Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsAllergies · 3 months ago

Sudden minor reaction to something that i used to eat all the time?

So i love onion, eat it a lot it. ive eaten it since i was a kid, for the last week ive had a bad reaction everytime ive eaten it. First off it was just an upset stomach. Now whenever i eat onion i get hives around my mouth and a irritated/scratchy tongue. Im just wondering what couldve caused this sudden change and if its anything to worry about

You might have developed an allergy.

On you might have created a sensitivity because of too much.

Layoff the onions for a while and than eat only in smaller portions.

• Audrey

It's possible. Are you taking any new medications? I love asparagus,  ate it all my life. Dr. Put me on Metformin, every time I ate asparagus I broke out in hives the size of half dollars.

Unfortunately allergies can develop at any age. I love fish but became severely allergic to even the smell of fish quite recently and I'm in my forties. You must completely avoid onion from now on as the next reaction will likely be worse and could kill you and see your doctor for an epipen. For now, carry a fast acting allergy medication and don't eat any food you haven't prepared yourself. 

''Foods that can cause an onion allergy. If you're allergic to onions, you might also be allergic to foods, plants, and substances that contain similar kinds of proteins. This is known as cross-reactivity. Foods in this category include edible alliums, such as garlic, chives, scallions, and shallots. It may also include mugwort, which is sometimes used as a tea and in Asian cuisine.'' https://www.healthline.com/health/onion-allergy#:~...

• Tavy

I became allergic to onions in my 30s. Upset stomach, severe headaches. Onions contain sulpher and we can get a reaction anytime in our lives.

• Andy C

Allergies happen to anything at any time. 

Although most food allergies develop when you are a child, they can, rarely, develop as an adult. The most common food allergies for adults are shellfish – both crustaceans and mollusks – as well as tree nuts, peanuts and fish. Most adults with food allergies have had their allergy since they were children.

Source(s): Googled "adult food allergies"