Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 4 weeks ago

Before i junk a car can i remove the engine and transmission just for fun?

• M.

Surely you can. 

If you are selling the hulk to a scrapper, they will pay you for the remaining weight. 

Most scrappers penalize you if you leave wheels and tires on.  Same with battery. 

Good luck with your engine and transmission.  Disassembling them can be a great learning tool. 

Just be careful removing them.  They are rather heavy. 

-Engine overhaul mechanic and general automotive mechanic since 1972 

p.s.  Thumbs down pessimists!

That will reduce the scrap value below the cost to tow the car to a scrap yard, but it isn't a crime.

Before means you have not decided what to do yet....so it is your car.  You can take out the motor and put it in upside down backwards IF YOU WANT or use the motor for a doorstop or paper weight. You need tools, hoists chains steel bars, a BEER, a good stout tree branch or a tripod. and know WTF you are doing,  A cutting torch may also be needed to cut off the exhaust bolts & pipe. The car collectors take what you give them.

its not fun..................

Used to have a 1980 Malibu Wagon with a 305 V8. We paid $50 for it and literally drove it until it flat out died.

.

I had my 11 year old son help me pull the motor/transmission and then we disassembled the motor so he could see how an engine worked.

.

I already had the tools. All I bought was a cheap engine stand and a drain pan -  and I borrowed the engine hoist.

.

Bonus ----- when we finished we sold the whole lot for $70.00

I don’t know. Can YOU do that? 

I probably could as I’ve got lots of tools and  experience and have done that on many cars before outside my house at the roadside.

But here’s the thing: I learned how to do all that by reading workshop manuals and then trying those jobs for myself. If I needed parts from a scrapyard I always went to pick and pull yards so I effectively got a free rehearsal in how to remove anything before doing so on my own cars. And whenever I had a car to scrap I sometimes stripped it down almost to the shell to gain further experience, and also to sell the parts for a lot more than the entire wreck was worth. 

I made plenty of mistakes, I shed more than a few drops of blood, but every mistake was educational. I also learned which tools to buy and which ones to rent; also which tools to avoid as they were complete crap seemingly made of metallic cheese.

So yes, go ahead. Give it a go but don’t take risks with safety. That means properly supporting any loads: no propping up on bricks or concrete blocks, and no working underneath with the car supported solely on jacks, EVER!

If you have already been quoted a price for the whole wreck then if anyone is coming to collect it and finds significant parts missing they will instead charge you to take the wreck away. They’ll also do that if an otherwise salvageable vehicle interior has been ruined because you’ve lobbed the engine or tranny inside there after you removed it; also if you’ve taken off the wheels so that they cannot tow it but must lift it.

Fun = learning experience.

Most call that work...but whatever floats your boat.

The car belongs to you, depending on your jurisdiction you can do almost anything to your car if you don't intend to return it to the road. You can remove the engine/transmission if you have the tools and hoist or jacks needed but for many instances, a wrecking yard/recycler will give you less $$ for a rig without them. The upside of that is, say your car is totaled in a rear-end wreck but you can sell the drivetrain for more than you would get from a yard. Much depends on your abilities and toolings, and local laws/situations dealing with non-operational cars. You might be able to remove the drivetrain and sort of stuff it back into the car so it can be towed off safely but that is up to whoever you deal with for that too.