Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 month ago

What happened to the combined wealth of my long line of past ancestors?

Nobody I know has it

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

If they were in the U.S., the may've lost it in the stock market crash of 1929.  

• Ludwig
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

One of your cousins probably spent it all on hookers and blow.

• 4 weeks ago

Unless each generation was actively working to increase their inherited wealth and educate their children in good schools, they would eventually spend it down and lose it.

• 1 month ago

I suppose it's all been spent by now.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Cogito
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Lands were divided up between children, money was spent, debts were paid, mistakes were made, and as nowadays, people had to buy things and pay things in order to live!

• 1 month ago

Maybe they spent it.  Or lost it.

• F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Probably the tax man got it.

• 1 month ago

My great great grandfather, Thomas Oliver Larkin, was reputed to be the wealthiest living American when he died in a typhoid epidemic in 1858.  I come nowhere near that kind of wealth.  So where?  My great grandmother was the seventh of his eight surviving children, every last one of whom seems to have had kids.  The money got split up among multiple descendants to the point where at least some of us are not too impressive.  Likely same for your family, especially if there's a wastrel or two in there.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

That is something you could potentially find out by researching your ancestry correctly...... as names/dates mean nothig at all until you research their lifetime and find each and every written record produced in their life.... gains and loses can easily be found starting with reading their basic Wills, the jobs they had  being skilled or not, who they married and what their standing/weath was and what was happening locally, nationally and internationally at the time they lived..... simple basic and in depth research

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

they spent it, gambling, bad investments or they stole it and are living in fat city.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.