Can one exit "The Deep" Home Depot safely at night?

Is a store or other place of business legally obliged to allow a patron to leave thru a door if it clearly displays the word "EXIT"? I ask this bc I attempted leaving a Home Depot one evening in a rush, having to pry open one of those big automatic glass doors. Around 10 min b4 closing time, it was already powered off for the night to deter stragglers from entering to get in some last minute shopping, but lit up so much so that I could see it from as far back as the restrooms, so I figured I had a right to use it. However, as I was opening it I was given the Hey You! (That's the one where you know it's directed at someone else so eagerly take on safe role as spectator). When he was done brown nosing I was guilty trying to make a backdoor getaway for dubious reasons. That employee's scolding aroused enough suspicion amongst a dozen onlookers to have me falsely branded as a potential lawbreaker in our local community.(Unfortunately, in our parts where ignorance abounds these good citizens rarely question someone wearing a cheap plastic pin with their name printed on it). By noon the next day the gossip spread like wildfire, assigning me titles of both hero vigilante and newbie terrorist. Those present or ear to what did (or didn't) happen only helped a few ppl needing to 'get a life' manage to fabricate one @ my expense while effectively taking my honest one away. This was about 10 dys ago and luckily puttering out. Q: Didnt I have the right to use that exit unencumbered?

i would hope so

• g

If you have to "pry open" a door, maybe you should seek another. That behavior looks sketchy no matter who you are.