On day 3 of anti-depressants but the stress is still too much.Should I wait a few weeks for the SSRI to kick in or go back to my therapist?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Mrs H
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I would do both 

• Chanel
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Try and be patient cos with anti-depressant it is trial and error.

I knew person who changed 3 times. The 3rd medication worked.

Would speaking to a therapist help in the meantime? or where you live are there helplines for people who want to talk?

Don't stress about it too much cos in the end you will get there.

• 1 month ago

I'm sure you doctor told you that SSRI drugs take time to be helpful. So, yes, you should continue to take them.  At the same time, you should also be seeing your therapist regularly.  Anti-depressants are a tool, they don't take the place of therapy. 

You and you therapist need to work together to monitor how your are tolerating the drug and, after the appropriate amount of time, decide if the specific drug and or dosage is working for you.  You should also be working on other coping techniques and lifestyle changes. 

• LAN
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Oh look yet another idiot that thinks that asking on Yahoo would be better than consulting their doctor that has actual training on how to deal with side effects of medications.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Takes a few weeks.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It takes 4-6 weeks for antidepressants to work fully. You will have been started on a low dose which will need to be increased every 2 weeks or so until you're on a therapeutic dose. Unfortunately they can make you feel worse before they make you feel better but most side effects should pass within 2 weeks. Seeing your therapist alongside medication is never a bad idea.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.