Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 4 weeks ago

how do web developers on freelance sites deliver their work?

I need a small website for my work but I'm not sure what will the developer give to me... passwords to the domain or host company?

the html files?

can someone please explain this to me.

• Chris
    Favorite Answer

When I do this I usually walk the client through creating a hosting account on my favorite hosting company's website, usually via remote desktop. This is primarily so the person who *owns* the website is officially hosting it and paying for that hosting, not the "random" person who developed it, who also might get replaced down the line.

We set up FTP access, and I upload the site as I'm developing it, usually password protected (everybody else will see a "coming soon" page).

It is of course also possible to skip all that and just hand over files, but I assume most people who design websites are also more familiar with hosting them, so it's a natural thing for the designer/dev to help set that up.

Chris gives good advice. As the customer, you need to own the web hosting account (and also the domain). Many developers do that as a courtesy, but then they become the true owner, not you. If the developer has already registered the domain, ask that it be transferred to you - all registrars do that as a free service. On the web hosting account, be sure the web host is one that allows you to own the account, but also delegate maintenance access to the developer. That prevents developer from needing your email and password to access it. This in no way restricts the developer.

The developer would normally be given FTP access to the server.