Mexico
Mexico asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Any idea on what to write on a noise complain letter for a barking dog?

So I have this neighbor who has a really annoying dog. I asked her nicely if she can calm him down but she just ignores me and anyone whoes asked her. It’s like she takes him out on purpose he’s out in the middle of the night and he constantly barks like I mean a lot. Ppl have to work and that dog just wakes you up and you can’t fall asleep anymore. Any idea on what to write a nice friendly neighbor complaint letter And drop it in her mail 

I would set my big strong American Staffordshire bull terrier onto her dog. My dog can kill any dog in 2 minutes, if that lady try to intervene she get shredded. Get a pit be tough.

• Funnel

Yep. Dog barks all day all night. Send video.

Similar situation but with kids. They are on October holiday now in the UK and they are out constantly. Daytime is fine. But they are often out making a lot of noise past 11pm at night. I spoke to the children and was ignored, talked to the parents and were ignored. So took video and sound footage. And sent it to my housing officer asking her to have a word. Been quiet the last few nights. It's not "snitching" on people. It's common decency to make a little noise at night as possible. Dogs bark, yes. But it shouldn't be excessive or disrupting other people. Some people are just selfish and if they are awake, they think everyone else is to. A letter through the door will likely achieve nothing. You had a polite word, so have others, you got ignored. Some people will roll over and give up. Others don't and if you're life is being that effected it's bang out of order and something needs to change. She could take her dog out earlier. Or teach it to be quiet when she tells it. 

Dogs in my neighborhood bark all night, too.  You need to use some white noise to block the sounds of the barking dogs.  You can wear ear plugs.  You cannot stop dogs from barking cause that is what dogs do.  Dogs bark, that is the sound dogs make.

I kept getting turned into Animal Control for my dogs barking.  They sent out officers to see of my dogs were barking excessively.  After 4 or 5 complaints & no citations given, the head of Animal Control came to visit.  She stood at my fence line for about an hour & we just talked while she watched my dogs.  She saw the bark three times as people walked down the street, she heard them barking at a cat 4 or 5 houses down.  BUT.....when the object of their barking was out of sight, they stopped barking.  She told me that any more complaints from the individual that kept turning me in were going to be filed in file 13 (trash).  She said dogs bark, that is the sound a dog makes & that she did not see anything wrong.

Don't be the neighborhood snitch.  You will be despised.

• Jojo

If you have already asked her `nicely` to keep her dog quieter and she has ignored your request, then I`m sure she would just ignore any letters you might write to her.

Your next step is to contact your local authorities with a recording of the dogs noise and the time its happening. 

If you can get the support of any neighbours who are also affected by the dogs noise than all the better, and the bigger the chance of something being done about it. Good Luck. 

Contact your authorities and keep a record/tape recording of the times you hear the dog.   It's usually far more effective than anything you do, including writing notes.    If you've ALREADY spoken to her, she's not going to take any notice of a letter - in fact it will probably not even be opened!!

There are laws, in most places, re anti-social behaviour, including dog noise especially if this happens during the night etc.

You've got the right idea as it's always preferable to contact the person directly first. Just write a brief, handwritten note & politely say something like "I regret to bring this up, but your dog's barking is-- ect, etc". Include your ph# if they wish to call you. (Make a copy of the note.) If they ignore your request or the situation doesn't improve after a week or so, stronger measures may be required.

Contact the landlord.

Or call the police/dog warden to report the nuisance barking

you can write a note but she may ignore it. I remember we had a dog and she slept outside and apparently would bark in the middle of the night.A neighbour complained so then we let her she sleep inside at night. The neighbour may ignore the letter and you could say if she does ignore it u will complain to animal control/The council or whoever deals with these problems.  Find out by contacting the local authorites to find out who deals with animal problems.

talk to the police about it