What will I pay in Capital gains tax?

I am a filed as a dependent with no earned income. I know as a dependent I have a standard deduction of $1100, but say I earn $1500 in short term capital gains, will the $400 difference be taxed as ordinary income?

3 Answers

  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

    Because it is a short-term capital gain, yes it will be taxed as ordinary income.  If you are taxed on only $400 of income, then the federal tax rate is 10%, so you would pay about $40 to the IRS.  Depending on where you live, you might or might not also pay state income tax.

  • Amy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Yes, short term capital gains are ordinary income.

    The tax on $400 is $41.

  • 1 month ago

    How could we know? You didn't tell us what country you're in so we can't even look it up for you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.