Can you get someone’s exact location with an IP address?

The school is saying my son has been logging into zoom saying inappropriate things.

They told me they used a tracker and the IP address matches his and his location.

Is there such a thing that does that?

Thanks

>>logging into zoom<<

If he logged into Zoom, his info will be there as some teachers force the attendee to have a Zoom account (that's what we do here) and not just log in as a guest to help curb Zoombombing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoombombing

Besides, teachers don't make their "Zoom meetings" public so only the students for that a particular class will have the meeting ID and meeting password. The student has to then check Moodle (for example) to get the info since email is not always secure or the student complain later that they didn't get the email because of spam filters, typo in email address, etc.

Source(s): Work in IT Department at a educational institution.

My ISP has indicated i am in 7 different Telstra Locations

If he is using a school connection then yeah, it goes through their servers and they will know he was probably using school server to do this. He will have an ip address through the school connection they can track.

Outside that then its more complicated.

• Enigma

school pc's contain spyware so they know what he's doing and where he is at. get your own.

I would think it more important to hear what your son has to say for himself rather than whether the school can track and trace him.

No, not really. If I sent you an email you'd get my IP address in the header, you can then put it into a lookup service and get a rough location, my city, which has half a million other residents, meh... When someone "tracks" someone else they usually just search them and find they use the same email address for several social media accounts, they might have put an advert up selling a car, then they pretend they want to buy the car and bingo... Nobody taps your IP address in and simply gets your physical address.