What is the difference between " space" and " outer space" ?

Space is just the usual abstraction of distance and direction which I could use, for example, by saying I want to make more space in a cupboard by tidying it, or I want more personal space. Outer space is a rather old-fashioned term for the abstraction of distance and direction as applied to locations outwith the atmosphere of this planet, i.e. practically everywhere but on or in various celestial bodies.

It's a  legal definition. Anything above 100 kilometers (62.17 miles) from sea level is considered to be outer space. Inter national treaties and legal jurisdictions apply on outer space. The USA does not own the Moon. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A1rm%C3%A1n_l...

"Space" is beyond the atmosphere. "Outer space" sounds more corny and is therefore more in keeping with modern perceptions of astronomy.

"space" is much more general. it can apply to many things. Last PC board I designed had 8 mil spacing.  "social distancing" means a 6 foot space between people. 

"outer space" applies to the vacuum between planets and between suns.

It's subjective;  Astronauts orbiting the Earth would said to be in 'outer space'...  these days, that seems like 'near space'.   A few people call anything beyond the moon to be "outer space"...  So, there's no clear definition.