Can I file charges against my tenant for excessive damages?

• Rick
    Favorite Answer

Depends.  If the damages were just a result of the tenant being a slob, careless, etc., then no, you couldn`t.  If the damages were done intentionally then yes, you could swear out a warrant for the charge of Criminal Damage To Property.  In Illinois it`s a Class A Misdemeanor ( I think), punishable by up to one year in jail along with a pretty big fine.  Good luck.

• Judy

Criminal charges no, but you can sue them in civil court.

Not unless it is criminal damage or vandelism.  Typically you just sue them for the cost of repairs. 

• Judith

Why ask us?  Ask an attorney who knows the laws in your state and can proceed with a lawsuit on your behalf.

What do you mean by "file charges"?   

Are you talking about criminal prosecution?    No, you can't do that.   (Note:   If you believe they have done something illegal such as vandalism, you can file a police report.)

Or are you talking about a civil suit to recoup damages that are in excess of the damage deposit?    Yes, you can do that.