Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

is it understandable to wish that you want to go back in time to 1960s britain?

it was before my time, i was born in 1977....but i always hear that era was the golden age of britain, yes we still had immigration but it was controlled vetted immigration, not the mass migration that we have now....and britain was still britain in the 60s....i really wish i could travel in time to 60s britain....any thoughts?

Am a foreigner. It’s bad enough now,  or the 80s. I wouldn’t want to know what it was like back then. Would you like or your kids to go school and get the cane from some stupid Teacher? I don’t think you do!

Don't dwell in the past. Live in the moment.

The adult age was rightfully 21 in Britain then. So for sure. 

• F

I was born at the start of the 60s , so can remember it a bit. For a start, people were much poorer than now. Not as many people had cars, telephones ( land line)  in a house was quite rare, central heating was not that common, you rented a TV because they were too expensive , no one had all the electronics like today, even outside toilets were still common place.

Wages were low but so were prices of basics but as there was nothing like mobile phones to fritter your money away on, ( and beer and fags were cheap), no one expected the government to feed their kids.

from about 1950 to 1960 was the best then the Muslims arrived

• Phil

Yeah, travel back to 1966 so I can wander from a dark back alley into a Yardbirds gig with Beck and Page in the band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjZNkHpgJbg

Youtube thumbnail

• Cogito

It's pointless to even think about this.

I was born in the mid-50s.  Yes, some things were better, but many things were worse or simply didn't exist.

You'd have no computers, few people had TVs (and they were black and white - no colour), homophobia was rife, as was racism and sexism.  Women were expected to obey their fathers and then get married very young and obey their husbands.  Boys generally left school and had to work long hours, often in factories, by the age of 14.  Contraception was hard to get and frowned upon.  Abortions were illegal so thousands of women died at the hands of back-street abortionists.  People died of diseases which are not either preventable or easily treatable.  

Child abuse was largely ignored and swept under the carpet, as was domestic violence.

But whatever the case, you CANNOT go back so just get on with your real life.

It was a great time of love and peace with everyone helping each other.

A far cry from today. People don't believe you when you say they were 

good times.  They were. 

• I was born in the 60's but have very vivid memories of the 70's and yes it was a golden age to be a kid with great music, tv and movies but my still abiding memory is of being bored a lot, a lot!

Where I lived in North Yorkshire, the shops would close at lunchtime on a Wednesday, and nothing was open on a Sunday, no Shopping Malls, no fast food places (apart from the odd Wimpey Bar)

Although TV was  amazing, it was only on for part of the day, there was very little daytime TV if you were home sick from school.

Even as a kid I can also remember lots of powercuts due to trade union disputes, sitting in the dark, playing monopoly by candlelight, there were weeks where we didn't get our bins emptied, the fire brigade went on strike.

Basically every decade can look wonderfully perfect and dreamy in the rose tinted haze of nostalgia but every decade has it's Vietnam, Watergate, 911 and Race Riots.

• Petter