trying to figure out which option to go with for the novel The Namesake???? ?

I am currently reading The Namesake for class and im trying to figure out which one of these options to use to start my essay. need help choosing.

Option 1: Overall, does this book portray America favorably or unfavorably?

Option 2: This book describes two generations: the immigrant generation (Ashoke, Ashima, their friends, etc.) and the first-generation of American-born children (Gogol, Sonia, Moushumi, etc.). Both generations face many challenges. Based on this novel, which generation faces more difficult challenges?

Option 3: At the end of the novel, Ashima states that she still does not feel like America is really her home. Why does Ashima never feel fully assimilated in America?

Option 4: What does being Bengali-American mean to Gogol? Do you think he considers himself more Bengali, more American, or equal parts of both?

Any advice on how to start it would be greatly appreciated.

My advice is to ask them if there's an option 5 - "I'm totally without a clue and I don't want to and can't do this". You never know...........

They're all good choices, obviously, since your teacher suggested them. Pick the one you like, or perhaps you identify with one character more than the other, and that might influence your choice. I suggest you take notes as you read so that you compile a group of facts and quotes that will support your essay.

• Zac Z

Seriously, dude, how should any of us know which topic works best for you when even you don't know it?