How to convince someone to use good language?

My friend is going to a costume party this weekend and will be dressing up as a “weenie licking dipshit”. He is just going to wear a dumb outfit, act stupid and run into things, and carry around a hot dog on a stick to lick.  I’m cool with that part, but he’s also going to our children’s party beforehand and wearing the same costume. He could just change the name, but insists on telling the kids that he’s a “weenie licking dipshit” because “they’ve all heard those words before”. He says what’s it to them if they hear him cursing??  He makes a good point and I’m having trouble refuting it.  What should I do with this peabrain?

• Orla C

Let him figure it out. I'm sure the children's parents will be happy to help him. 

• Lili

Troll fail, dear.

Do try harder.  This is so feeble.

Come on folks. How can you not see this is a troll?

• Cogito

I wouldn't want a friend who was that immature, that insensitive and that stupid.  He's embarrassing and sounds like the sort of idiot people hope doesn't attend their parties.  And at the moment, no-one should be having parties at all!

Why on earth are you inviting him to your children's party - although more to the point is why are you having a children's party?

You both sound like irresponsible fools.

not much you can do about it

HIs only point is how disrespectful he is to you and your kids. When it comes to your children, you don't argue/plead with someone who refuses to acknowledge your wishes. Hearing someone cursing on the street/media is one thing - but a totally different thing in your own home! It's YOUR home - YOUR rules!! Your children rely and depend on YOU to protect them from weenie licking dipshits . . . more so in their own home! Tell him he is not welcome to your home, around you children until he learns how to behave.

If you're having trouble refuting it, you obviously have no specific objection.   If you have no specific objection, why would you ask him to change his behavior?

My kids know it's rude to swear at parties unless that is the culture established by the host.   Apparently your friend is unaware of this or just doesn't care.

My kids also know it's rude to walk into someone else's home and break the rules of that home.   Your friend doesn't appear to know this either, or again, he just doesn't care.

For me it's not really about the swearing.   It's that your friend is being totally self-entitled and disrespectful.   Someone who doesn't give two shiits (sorry, couldn't help myself) about other people's preferences, especially parental preferences for a children's party, is a boor.   Your friend should go back to the barnyard where he was raised and stay there until he realizes that it's incredibly immature to get your jollies by pissing off others.     Maybe people will decide to stop inviting him places until he grow up a bit.

Yes, you can show him this. 

• g

He sounds like a child himself. This seems to be setting others up with more opportunity to mock and belittle others who may be different. If that's the best he can so, maybe he should just stay home.

If you have not already discussed this with him, then do so. It may not turn out well but people need to understand their boundaries and feelings may not agree with others. How do you think other parents will react to their kids being exposed to this if other kids will be present. Difficult situation.

They've heard the words, but he is supposed to set a better example for his children than that.