Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 month ago

Would you help your gf/bf get a car?

No. Gf/bf's can come and go but most debts take 5 years to pay off. One really good thing to notice about a person you are dating is whether or not they are able to live within their means. If they require living beyond their means... that's not a good trait going forward. I might help them with a deposit on a place near the bus line if they needed it. 

• rick

I have done this.

It's not recommended. Only married couples are couples that should apply for a car together. Offer to help him/her get to places if a ride is really needed, or even offer the use of a car from time to time if that seems okay to do so, dependent on how well they care for things and respect other people's property. If they can't save up enough to at least put a down payment on a car on their own,  then how are they going to ever be responsible enough to maintain a car properly and make the payments regularly? You're just asking for more troubles and your name and credit is effected too if you "help" them that way. I would seriously not do that. I would offer all other kinds of encouragement and help and assistance in all the other kinds of ways that I mentioned. 

I'm posting a very helpful article on buying a used car below, you might find the advice there very helpful. It's free.

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=1019962...

No, and I wouldn't recommend anybody to do it.

• T J

No way...not with my money, if you are my wife, I would, or can use use of my 3 cars.

Absolutely not. Car payments last way, way longer than many relationships. If I co-signed or countersigned, or loaned money, I might be on the hook long after my GF/BF and I were through.