Has anyone else been watching Mars recently?

This morning it was just above the soon-to-be full moon.

Two meteors fell as I was viewing. Is this the Orionid?

Favorite Answer

Mars, and on the other side of the sky, Venus.   Venus is getting lower and lower, as it pulls ahead of Earth in it's orbit about the Sun.  In a few months, we'll see it climbing in the evening sky. 

The two meteors you saw have  good chance of being of the Orionids; Orion is about at zenith at about the time Mars approaches the western horizon. 

• ANDY

I saw Mars this month of October a few times (can still be seen as I gather), I like Mars because you can see it easily and make out its beautiful reddish/orange color due to the oxidation of the soil. 

I've had nothing but clouds and rain for the last ten days, so missed both.  The Orionids are pretty weak by seven days past maximum.  It would help if you had posted the time you saw the meteors, but it's possible.

• Mike

The Orionids peak around Oct 21, so yes they could be Orionids or could be simply sporadic meteors.

• Murzy

I've watched Mars but I didn't see the meteors.