Smart or dumb decision?

My friend needs the money, but she is leaving her job that she makes decent money at for a job that pays less money($ less an hour, and plus no over time)

She said with the job that pays less money she gets to have family time, get weekend off, and she will have health insurance, with sick days, and she might get earned vacation time, and a retirement plan.

She said her job now she doesn't even get a sick day, and she won't get benefits regardless of how much she makes

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

As she has no real financial future with her present job, I'd advise her to take a job that has retirement and other benefits. It's a much better deal looking at long term.

• Rick
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Sounds like a responsible, mature decision.  She can always also work a part time job to make up for the $ loss.  

• 1 month ago

I don't think it's dumb for your friend to prioritize her mental health and family's well-being for less money. Those things ARE more important in the long run. She sees that. Not a dumb decision at all. 

• 1 month ago

It seems like a good decision on her part.  Many people are deceived by jobs that give this, but lack that & that & that, etc.  She seems to have considered the full effect of what is offered from both jobs & made the choice to go to the one that most fits her long-term needs.  To me, that seems the right choice.   

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Impossible to answer, given we don't know her details or how much salary drop she is taking out how much she needs the money.

A job that offers no holiday pay or pension sounds dodgy to say the least and probably isn't a long term option.

• 1 month ago

It is her decision to make. I'm sure she considers all the options. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Time is Money.

All jobs you trade STRESS for Money, Less time less pay, but it is the same as buying "drugs" or "holiday time".

I once took a lower paid job, and ended earning more.

Because of more open advancement path.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

How on earth would we know?  

We know nothing about this person and you said nothing about the pay differential in actual numbers.

Medical insurance is a good thing especially if she doesn't have enough money to pay for it herself.   Medical debt could bankrupt her which could screw up her life for a decade.

Butt out.   This is her decision; not yours or mine.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Sounds like a smart decision for her.  Obviously one thing you don't understand is that family very often will override money.  People have left 6-7 figure income jobs with full benefits to devote more time to their family.

But in the end she may actually be making more.  As she now has benefits and can take days off when she is sick.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Money is not everything.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.