Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 4 weeks ago

Please Help! Has anyone imported goods from USA to UK? (Fedex Airway Bill) BEST ANSWER?

I have used a freight company a few times to ship mostly dolls/collectibles/toys from the US to the UK. I pay the freight company the international shipping, the surcharge and the insurance which usually amounts to the same price as the valued items. HMRC says import charges are applied for items over £135 including all the shipping. My recent order totals £113 including all the shipping and value of the items combined. I still got an air way bill from fedex of £34 and it says in the text message it is an import fee but when I called they said its VAT and I have to pay VAT of 20% no matter how valuable my items are if they are imported from a non EU country. I have had things valued around £50 imported before from USA / Switzerland and never received a VAT bill when delivered by DHL or Royal Mail. However, this freight company uses USPS which then uses Fedex in the UK and I'm always charged import fees. Is my £113 order subject to VAT fees? I have more orders to ship from USA and have even broken them up into smaller shipments to avoid import fees but it looks like they'll keep charging me VAT. Is there a way to not be charged VAT on orders under £135?

The £135 applies to personal imports. (Things you carry back from a holiday as an example). NOT what you might buy online.

Buying it and shipping it in from outside the EU, the limit is  £15

"Tax and duty

You'll be contacted by Royal Mail, Parcelforce or the courier company explaining how to pay any VAT, duty and fees for dealing with customs.

They'll normally hold your parcel for about 3 weeks. If you haven't paid the fee by then, it'll be sent back.

VAT

You pay VAT on goods sent from non-European Union (EU) countries and EU special territories (eg the Canary Islands) if they're:

gifts worth more than £39

other goods worth more than £15

alcohol, tobacco products and fragrances (eg perfume, eau de toilette and cologne) of any value

You have to pay VAT on all goods sent by mail order from the Channel Islands no matter what their value.

You'll be charged at the VAT rate that applies to your goods. VAT is charged on the total value, including:

the price paid for the goods

postage, packaging and insurance

any duty you owe"

No. Darn, I guess i won't get best answer. What will I do without that?