Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 month ago

Is moissanite a good choice for engagement ring?

My budget caps at 2000. Will I be able to get a nice ring if I go with a moissanite Stone for my girlfriend? She loves moissanite but I’ve never heard of it before. Only the traditional diamond. I want to get her something she’ll love but I want to make sure it’s a good ring even in my budget. I wish I had a higher budget but I don’t, I can’t exceed $2000. Thanks

For an engagement ring

Big props for sticking to your budget!  But you're still making a big mistake here.  It won't ruin the romance of your proposal if the 2 of you talk this through and actually look at rings.  You still get to plan the proposal and surprise her with it, but it makes the most sense for you to KNOW you're getting something she loves.  

There's nothing necessarily wrong with moissanite, but you might be making a mistake in assuming $2000 won't buy a nice diamond. This is a good chunk of change.  Also, it's not just about the stone.  The setting matters a lot . My cousin got engaged last year and tossed all her ideas out the window when she saw a ring in rose gold.  So look at what's online and go to jewelry stores together.   

• Foofa

If your only purpose is in pleasing her and she's not some wannabe princess she'll probably like the brilliant look of moissanite. But if you're buying it as an investment (like smart couples do) moissanite doesn't hold its value in the same way diamonds and other precious stones do. I'd talk to a jeweler. 

Do not second guess this...she said she loves that type of ring. GO FOR IT!

• Moissanite looks like a diamond, but it's less expensive then a real diamond. So you should be able to get a decent size stone. It seams durable too. 

If this is what she wants, maybe go ring shopping together, so she gets a ring that she likes. 

• Ann

I don't know where you live, but there is a firm called Overstock.com (in the U.S.) that sells moissanite rings for less than $2,000.  You can look up their website.

• drip

Do research on the stone.  She will be wearing it everyday for the rest of her life. In soap and water. Daily chores. 

My daughter has a white sapphire stone in her engagement ring.  It a pretty good sized stone and beautiful. The ring was $1200. They got it direct from a jeweler.  Not a chain jewelry store,

Sapphire, Emerald, Ruby, Aquamarine, Spinel, Alexandrite, Topaz Would work 

Amethyst, Opal, Pearl, Tanzanite, Morganite Are too soft and would not hold up. 

On the Mohs scale, moissanite scores a 9.25, a very good score. It would definitely hold up to daily wear and tear.  

If you don’t want a traditional diamond, I would strongly suggest talking to your girlfriend about alternative gem stone a she would like.

Personally, I would skip the moissanite. I think you should get her a birth stone ring or another semi-precious stone as a center stone with either white sapphire or white topaz as accent stones.  

• Trish

You're safe.  

Why not ask HER?  

She's the one who has to wear it for the next 50 years.  Don't you think she might want to help choose it?

If she likes it, then it's probably better than a 'traditional' diamond (which is only that because of marketing).

Your budget is entirely sufficient to get something nice that she'll love. 

You might want to consider shopping with her, given that she'll be wearing it, to ensure she does love it!