Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Why am I so self-destructive?

I drink too much alcohol on a daily basis and I hope that I will get a disease and just die. Why am I so self-destructive and why do I want to hurt myself with alcohol and meds?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Common risk factors for self-destructive behavior.

Self-destructive behaviors are those that are bound to harm you physically or mentally. It may be unintentional. Or, it may be that you know exactly what you’re doing, but the urge is too strong to control. It may be due to earlier life experiences. It can also be related to a mental health condition, such as depression, anxiety, or ptsd.

There are also more subtle forms of self-sabotage. You may not realize you’re doing it, at least on a conscious level. Examples of this are:

1) being self-derogatory, insisting you’re not smart, capable, or attractive enough. 

2) changing yourself to please others.

3) engaging in alienating or aggressive behavior that pushes people away. 

4) maladaptive behaviors, such as chronic avoidance, procrastination, and passive-aggressiveness.

5) wallowing in self-pity.

The frequency and severity of these behaviors vary from person to person. For some, they’re infrequent and mild. For others, they’re frequent and dangerous. But they always cause problems.

You might be more prone to behave in a self-destructive manner if you’ve experienced:

1) alcohol or drug use

2) childhood trauma, neglect, or abandonment

3) emotional abuse or physical abuse

4) friends who self-injure

5) low self-esteem

6) social isolation, exclusion

Self-destructive behavior can stem from a mental health condition, such as:

Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): PTSD is an anxiety disorder that starts after you’ve experienced a traumatic event. StudiesTrusted Source show that PTSD and impulsive personality traits may put you at risk of self-destructive behavior. The rate of self-destructive behavior is particularly high among veterans who have been exposed to trauma.

Anxiety disorders: Characterized by debilitating fear, worry, and distress.

Depression: Overwhelming sadness and loss of interest. It usually involves a variety of physical symptoms, as well.

Eating disorders: Conditions like anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating.

Personality disorders: Inability to relate to other people in a healthy way.

• 1 month ago

William Miller of the Univ of New Mexico, one of the leading experts on alcoholism, says that psychiatry does not help unless the person has a psychiatric problem, and that raises the question of what's best for you. A possible diagnosis for your problem is borderline personality disorder, and the best treatment for that is a therapy called DBT. 

Miller also says that the expensive "rehab" facilities are scams He was interviewed for John Oliver's expose' of rehab for HBO, which you can see on YouTube.

Good source of information - SMARTRecovery.org. It's like a brainy version of AA, former substance abusers who believe in psychology. Also, it's VERY important for you to see a doctor about this.

• 1 month ago

The true meaning of human life is.... Self Realization. Love /hate, Good/evil, happiness/sorrow, positive/ negative, virtue/sin, soul/ body, heaven /hell.. are the creations of God.... So, by pure faith in God we can understand our eternal nature... which relates to our soul as our soul is the Part and Parcel of.... Supreme Soul...."God" ... Actually, we are spiritual souls but we are in human body. We are from the spiritual world. God has sent us on the earth...only for self realization.. as our souls are not as pure as, they have to be... So, God has given us human life where our body feels happiness as well as suffers pain. Therefore, we souls are here... to achieve... the level of purity and to become pure soul.... we should make an effort to understand the deeper meaning of unconditional love for all living beings.... in every situation... 

Moreover, the eternal nature of our soul is to Love God...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.