Joseph Davies asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

My dog is a pain at night time?

I have a 2 year old pug, during the day he is fairly greedy and will stand and woof at me or my partner for food all day, evening he is perfect and will sleep on you all night. When it comes to bed, he goes straight into the kitchen, in his bed and goes straight to sleep. Come 1 o'clock he's either scratching the baby gate across the kitchen (initially replaced a door as he scratched the door too much) or the baby gate at the bottom of the stairs, whichever he's doing I go straight down and he's already had a poo somewhere, this is after him going outside and pooing at around 930. He never wees anywhere, only poos. Every hour or hour and a half hell continue to do this, if I give him some food he is quieter fir longer, if not it's possible half an hour... What do I do... He's fine in a cage but we don't have the room to consistently have it up. 

All help and advice appreciated.

You talk to your Vet and make sure there aren't any physical issues.  Then you put him on a feeding schedule.

He will woof at you for food all day?  So he runs the house?

• Ann

Quit feeding him all day long, and get him on a regular routine, just as you would a child.  Feed him breakfast in the morning (dog food, of course, not a human breakfast), and then feed him again in the afternoon.  Walk him once or twice a day.  He should poop while on the walks. If you live where you can have a doggy door, install one so he can learn to go out by himself.  If not, then get him on a schedule.  Also, the kind of food you're giving him and the amount you're giving him are factors.  Give him a good quality food (such as Orajen or Blue Buffalo) so his stomach won't be irritated.  You might also have your vet check him for suggestions.

His consistent need to poo is probably because he is being constantly fed. He may just be seeing how much food in can get out of you or he could be genuinely hungry - if he's constantly hungry then there is a problem. It could be worms. After making sure this isn't medical with a visit to the vet I would start a feeding schedule. It's not good for dog's to eat constantly. So start a feeding schedule on when he gets hos diners and when he gets his treats. Think about giving him boredom breaker toys so he isn't so bored he's harassing you for treats all the time. Avoid feeding him 3-4 hours before bedtime and take him for a good walk before bed this will give him time to eliminate, work off any energy and the fresh air might help.

I make sure my dog is wake 6 hours before bed time. In this time I give her toys to play with, her diner and then at least a 30 minute walk and since doing this it makes her tired enough to sleep through the night.

Then take it to see a vet as pugs in general encounter many health problems.

One of the best things I ever did for myself & my dogs was to put in a dog door.  Letting dogs in & out was a real pain in the butt, now I don't have to worry & no one goes potty in the house.

• Maxi

Demanding to be fed all day and you giving in means the dog is ruling you, so get your dog into a meal and exercise routine, decide when you are feeding your dog, eg two meals a day one in the moring one just after lunch  and if you feed kibble purchase a couple of the different 'treat balls' and use those to feed his meals, so he has to earn what he gets, get him out walking in the day, every day to use up his excess energy, so he sleeps at night and reduce his space so he doesn't have access to the door/gate... often people assume a larger space and the dog is happier however that is not the case as the dog often thinks it has to 'look after' the space and will often poo/pee because of anxiety of 'looking after' a too big of an area...so the crate maybe a better option ....... crates take seconds to put up and if you want a resolution to his issues it is a small job to do to resolve it

You might also use a crate at night.

• Jojo

Seems like you are giving in to his demands for food too much and the more he is being given the more he is demanding some more.

Give him his last meal at around 6pm and no more food AT ALL until the next morning, no matter how much he demands it.

A crate for  pug can`t take up much room surely, as pugs are very small dogs.

Take him outside to relieve himself at around 10-30pm or when you go to bed. Stay with him until he `goes`, and crate him for the night. 

Ignore any barking or scratching in the crate, and eventually he will realise this gets him nowhere.

It may take a week or two of doing this but you need to be tough to get any good results.

All the while you give in to his scratching etc , he will keep on demanding your attention and more food.

NEVER EVER give in to his DEMANDS  for food. AS this is the root of all other behaviours. 2 meals a day is all he should get and no treats at all all day at this stage.

Once he is good all night. He can have a treat for good behaviour or for obeying a command. 

Source(s): GSD owner for 57 years. UK

i know someone with a pug mix and everytime she goes into the kitchen he follows cause he thinks he will get some food

No food after 5 pm should help him digest that meal before bed.   Sometimes a miserable dog will 'wring' out the last of what's there as a 'statement'.   Can you bring him, in his crate, up in your room at night.  That might make him happier, and more likely to sleep through without what's been going on.  With mine, the last BM is generally done, if at all, at around 10.30pm before bed.