Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

I've noticed that people don't say excuse me anymore? Why?

Have you noticed where you live that people have stopped saying excuse me and now just stupidly look at people and expect them to move upon glance. What's the point of that? I have no respect for people who don't say excuse me. Our society is getting worse and I don't like it. 

*If you post something disrespectful I will report you*

To the person who said Canadians say 'excuse me'....that's not true at all. I live in Canada and where I live they do not say excuse me at all. 

• Lili
    Favorite Answer

I say it all the time.  But yes, it's true that other people say it less than they used to.

I was raised by a stickler for manners, and I was the same way with my children, who are older Millennials.  They ALWAYS say "Excuse me" when needed.However, I think a lot of Gen-Xers (and younger people) are just much more casual.  Either their parents didn't push manners very hard, or they came to believe that manners were too stilted and artificial for them to observe.

But I've always found that good manners make life easier.

Why have you dismissed the answer from another Canadian as "not true at all"? Obviously it's true where he or she lives. If it isn't "true" where YOU live, that's hardly relevant, is it?

• L

Because their dim wit parents never taught them manners.

In my opinion, people no longer say, "Excuse me" apologetically because of the slightly aggressive arrogant manner that is the new normal. Condescendingly telling you, "You're fine" as though in reassurance has replaced taking any responsibility for one's own manners.

• drip

No, not at all. I work retail and people have been and are still are polite 

because manners went out the door. I would hold the door for someone and they do not even say thank you anymore. even when you are driving, people hardly signal anymore and cut you off. years ago, I was shopping in Walmart with my son and daughter and we where heading to the door and a man, held the door open to go into Walmart and held it for his wife and shut the door right in my face and I was right near the door. I said thank you for holding the door and walked out with my children and he sent his wife out to cuss at me. I annoyed her and made her feel like a junk because everyone was looking at her. shows you how stupid people are

not everyone is like that

Can't blame the younger generation, or the 'way they were brought up. One of my kids got up and offered her seat on the bus to an elderly woman who just grunted before sitting down. As I said at the time, my kids showed they were raised correctly - that the old bat couldn't say 'thank you' shows she wasn't! (And weren't that generation raised with a high focus on manners?) The way they behave just shows how ignorant they are . . .  

Yeah I have noticed, but I see the distance we are keeping as the reason.  Before when trying to get by someone, our mere presence in close proximity defined why you were saying "excuse me", but when you are staying 6 feet apart it isn't the same situation   Plus, it isn't rude to offer patience by waiting for others to move out of the way either.  If you had more patience, you wouldn't be bothered by it.

They weren't brought up properly. Maybe they see that other people are not saying excuse me and they're just following the crowd. That's usually why. People are social animals and will do exactly what the herd is doing. Even if it's the wrong/dumb thing to do.

I have noticed that service is OUT OF STYLE. But where I live, Manhattan NY, people say excuse me all the time and hold doors for other people. Its the guy behind the counter at the deli dept. at the supermarket who is not trained properly and acts like he's doing me some sort of favor. (Just an example)