Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

What happens if my parents just walk into my house unannounced and set off my new security system while I'm at work?

My parents have been getting on my nerves.  I thought I had my own place, they just came in while I was at work and hooked me up a landline phone because they thought I needed one.  My dad found me new insurance, he didn't like the policy I had so he had to step in and fix it for me.  I don't understand how he was able to do that.  They had the locks changed, picked out new curtains for all my windows without asking me, ordered new carpet.  

They just won't stop and they've made it more their place than mine -- I change the lock on the front door and they come in through the back door acting like nothing is wrong.  I ordered a home security system so next time they come in they will set off a 105 db alarm and the monitoring center will be notified.

I'm thinking this was a really bad idea because if the monitoring center calls when I'm at work, I can't answer my phone.  They show up at 10 am and they are on their own until I get off at 4 pm.  I'm not sure what will happen if they set off the alarm and the cops show up.  There are cameras so the monitoring center will be able to verify there are 2 people inside the house.

My parents are there so much my neighbors thought my parents lived there, not sure if that is good or bad, but only my name is on the deed.

These people stay until 9pm, tell me to go straight to bed when they leave, then they drive around the block to see if my lights are still on.  My mom calls me from her cell phone to tell me to get my lights turned off and get to bed.  It's my place and I'm getting sick of this crap.

• Tavy

So WHY did you not change the locks on the back door. ???? this sounds silly. You disconnect the landline and complain to the insurance company. You switch off your cell phone or block their number.

Discontinue the landline and switch your insurance.  Why didn't you change all of the locks?  You should change your locks again making sure you actually change all of the locks.  Install an alarm system.  You can have it set up to call your cellphone number when the alarm goes off.  The company can also deactivate the alarm remotely.  Tell your parents they're responsible for paying for the carpet and any other changes they made without authorization from you.

Then the security company is alerted, etc.