Mike asked in HealthMental Health · 4 weeks ago

Medicine for OCD/intrusive thoughts?

I have reallt bad OCD and constantly surrounded by intrusive thoughts all day and have been this way most of my life, but now that I’m in college its really getting in the way of focusing in class, studying, doing homework etc. Lots of people have told me to get prescribed to Adderall but from what I have read it can really make it worse. Need help figuring out a recommendation of medication for this type of thing and what would work best for me to do school.

Medication is sometimes used for OCD but if you talked with a mental health professional about this, which seems like a really good idea, I think you would be told that it's better to start with therapy. By mental health professional, I don't mean a school counselor. I mean a clinical psychologist or a psychiatrist. A counselor might help you with the problem of getting professional help, but you would probably want to see a GP, who could give you a referral. 

If you go to the Amazon ad for You Are Not Your Brain by psychiatrist Jeffrey Schwartz, you'll see that people with OCD think very highly of this book. You can also hear the testimonials of readers on YouTube.

As this article shows, Dr Schwartz developed a therapy for OCD that has been validated with brain scan studies.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/mind/rewiring-the...

He's one of the many mental health professionals who believe in mindfulness. If you're interested,  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqEM_jlDRZI

Youtube thumbnail

Some therapists have begun working on the phone. You can call a doctor and ask about this.

Legally, a therapist can work over the phone with anybody in the same state. Some insurance companies cover phone therapy. You can use the Psychology Today Find a Therapist feature to get a list of therapists in your state, find out who’s working by phone, and what kinds of problems they specialize in.

You do not need medication, you need therapy. Its about changing your mindset and knowing that you cannot control things, just let them happen, let go